Click HERE to read the Philippines Typhoon Disaster Response Staff Action Plan.
The Solomon Schechter Day School of Metropolitan Chicago has been awarded a three-year Headway Enrichment Grant from Legacy Heritage Fund. The school was invited to apply for a Headway Enrichment Grant because of Dr. Lena Kushnir’s reputation as a dynamic, creative, and effective educator.
The grant will be used to enrich the Tefilah program for all students in truly creative and meaningful ways, including allowing them to:
- deepen the students’ personal engagement and connection with their Tefilah experience,
- build connections between the students’ Tefilah experience and our school’s core values and values-based programs,
- create more opportunities for parents to attend services with their children and to offer adult education focused on the area of Tefilah,
- allow the school’s educators to engage in best practice professional development,
- enable the school to provide diverse instructional materials to use throughout our students’ Tefilah practice,
- create spaces for prayer that are welcoming and instill a sacred feeling, and
- use technology when appropriate to engage students more fully in their Tefilah experience.
Rav Uri Allen, Director of Jewish Life and Learning, is starting to meet with the Tefilah instructors to move forward with this exciting initiative.
On Wednesday, December 18th, Solomon Schechter School of Queens will be hosting a JedCamp style evening of participant driven learning. There is no cost to participate and a kosher dinner will be provided.
Topic: Using Educational Technology and Social Media To Improve Quality of Learning for Our Children
We are looking for teachers, Ed tech coaches/integrators, principals and other administrators, parents, and students to share ways educational technology and/or social media has improved quality of learning for our children.
The evening will include two sessions (one hour each) with dinner in between.
If you would like to lead a one hour session, please e-mail Shira Leibowitz at email@example.com. Include title, a several sentence description of you session, and your technology set up needs.
Published online: Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:03 pm; Williston Times
Written by Thomas J. Ferraro, Ph.D.
“This little gem of a school is filled with bright and hardworking kids who are being trained to be generous and altruistic and community minded. My little column is entitled Our Town and my real interest is in finding examples of community life and to further its growth. With that said I am so happy to have met Dr. Dolgin and to have snuck a peek into this very special school. A school that is producing kids who are taught to care about their neighbors and their towns and their country. So welcome to all the kids and all the teachers at Schechter. Nice to have met you. “
Community News Archive
- June 10, 2013 - The SSLI Moot Beit Din Team came in first place in our division at the National Competition, held in April in Philadelphia, PA
- June 5, 2013 - The Hebrew Academy of the Capital District 50th Anniversary Celebration
- May 29, 2013 - Recruitment Event for Schechter of Long Island High School
- May 29, 2013 - PEJE Expands Signature Leadership and Fundraising Academy with Grant from Legacy Heritage Fund
- April 8, 2013 - In commemoration of Yom HaShoah
- February 28, 2013 - CJHS Nips Mooseheart in Sectional, Makes History
- December 27, 2012 - Squirrel Hill School Leader Connects With Kids With Style
- December 27, 2012 - The Observant Life: An Evening of Adult Jewish Learning
- December 21, 2012 - National Coalition of Jewish Day School Leaders Drafts Open Letter on Gun Control
- November 15, 2012 - SSA Fundraiser in the aftermath of Sandy
- November 7, 2012 - Schechter Community Unites to Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Solomon Schechter Day School of Metropolitan Chicago!
- October 22, 2012 - The Council Protocol at Pressman Academy
- September 5, 2012 - Gross Schechter bids goodbye to Rogozen
- July 11, 2012 - "What Israel Means to Me" by Lily Caplan
- May 7, 2012 - Epstein School wins the Uncle Ben’s Beginner Cooking Contest
- April 25, 2012 - National conference on incorporating new technology into Jewish day school education
- April 17, 2012 - Chicagoland Jewish High School selected to have 2012-2013 SREL Fellow Rabbi Zach Silver
- February 23, 2012 - 25 Epstein Students Take First Place At 2012 NAJS Technology Fair
- February 22, 2012 - International Exchange: 12 Korean Students Visit The Epstein School
- February 15, 2012 - Two Schechter schools win awards for the Video Academy
- January 31, 2012 - Let the Journey Begin...
- January 25, 2012 - Article: Head of School Loves Learning from Kids
- October 12, 2011 - Och Academy receives $17 million from Ross estate
- February 7, 2011 - Permanent Scholarship Fund in NJ
- November 11, 2010 - Schechter/Spertus Partnership to Promote Cutting Edge Programs and Directions for Schechter
- October 20, 2010 - Mazal Tov, SSDS of Essex and Union!
- September 17, 2010 - Pressman Academy recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School
- July 9, 2010 - Schechter Schools Visit Israel
- May 6, 2010 - Pressman Academy Middle School Students Achieve Success in the California Math League
- April 19, 2010 - Construction Update: Athletic Fields Renovation Set to Begin at SSDSEU
- March 22, 2010 - SSDSEU Chilean Exchange program helps out
- March 11, 2010 - Pressman Academy's Hebrew Immersion program
- October 22, 2009 - Schechter schools support ground-breaking Masorti Bar/Bat Mitzvah program for special needs kids
- October 9, 2009 - Construction Projects in 2008-2009
- May 7, 2009 - Solomon Schechter School USDS Receives $4 Million Gift
- September 16, 2008 - Greening Our Schools
- June 27, 2008 - Federation Support of Jewish Day Schools Soars
- May 10, 2008 - The Schechter That Could
- December 9, 2007 - Construction Projects in 2007
- November 15, 2007 - Chancellor Arnold Eisen visits MA SSDS