“In commemoration of Yom HaShoah, the Solomon Schechter School of Westchester wants to share with the North American Schechter community a video created by the seniors as a reflection on the week they spent traveling through Poland during their Lev v’Nefesh journey.”
Check out this story about CJHS Basketball:
Rick Sternberg never set out to make a fashion statement.
But every day, he certainly does — by almost never wearing the same combination twice through an entire school year. Click here to read more
Responding to Newtown Tragedy, Jewish Leaders Remind Administration and Congress of Moral and Ethical Obligations in Gun Control Debate
December 21, 2012
Community leaders and heads of school at 30 Jewish day schools around the country today issued an open letter to President Barack Obama and members of Congress. The letter urges them to enact legislation that will limit access to the types of assault weapons that were used to massacre 20 first graders and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
The letter reminds the Administration and Congress that gun control is not just a legal or political issue, but also a moral and ethical one. “The Torah teaches us that when we live in a community, we must actively work to prevent harm to others,” the letter points out. It cites to passages in Deuteronomy and the Talmud, the compilation of rabbinic interpretations of the Bible that illuminate that point. While acknowledging the murderer’s own guilt, the letter reminds leaders that “[blood] is also on our hands, because we allowed a murderer easy, legal access to weapons that are especially lethal. It is on our hands because we failed to build adequate fences around things that we knew were dangerous, as the Torah commands us.” Continue reading »
Community News Archive
- November 15, 2012 - SSA Fundraiser in the aftermath of Sandy
- November 7, 2012 - Schechter Community Unites to Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Solomon Schechter Day School of Metropolitan Chicago!
- October 22, 2012 - The Council Protocol at Pressman Academy
- September 5, 2012 - Gross Schechter bids goodbye to Rogozen
- July 11, 2012 - "What Israel Means to Me" by Lily Caplan
- May 7, 2012 - Epstein School wins the Uncle Ben’s Beginner Cooking Contest
- April 25, 2012 - National conference on incorporating new technology into Jewish day school education
- April 17, 2012 - Chicagoland Jewish High School selected to have 2012-2013 SREL Fellow Rabbi Zach Silver
- February 23, 2012 - 25 Epstein Students Take First Place At 2012 NAJS Technology Fair
- February 22, 2012 - International Exchange: 12 Korean Students Visit The Epstein School
- February 15, 2012 - Two Schechter schools win awards for the Video Academy
- January 31, 2012 - Let the Journey Begin...
- January 25, 2012 - Article: Head of School Loves Learning from Kids
- October 12, 2011 - Och Academy receives $17 million from Ross estate
- February 7, 2011 - Permanent Scholarship Fund in NJ
- November 11, 2010 - Schechter/Spertus Partnership to Promote Cutting Edge Programs and Directions for Schechter
- October 20, 2010 - Mazal Tov, SSDS of Essex and Union!
- September 17, 2010 - Pressman Academy recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School
- July 9, 2010 - Schechter Schools Visit Israel
- May 6, 2010 - Pressman Academy Middle School Students Achieve Success in the California Math League
- April 19, 2010 - Construction Update: Athletic Fields Renovation Set to Begin at SSDSEU
- March 22, 2010 - SSDSEU Chilean Exchange program helps out
- March 11, 2010 - Pressman Academy's Hebrew Immersion program
- October 22, 2009 - Schechter schools support ground-breaking Masorti Bar/Bat Mitzvah program for special needs kids
- October 9, 2009 - Construction Projects in 2008-2009
- May 7, 2009 - Solomon Schechter School USDS Receives $4 Million Gift
- September 16, 2008 - Greening Our Schools
- June 27, 2008 - Federation Support of Jewish Day Schools Soars
- May 10, 2008 - The Schechter That Could
- December 9, 2007 - Construction Projects in 2007
- November 15, 2007 - Chancellor Arnold Eisen visits MA SSDS